A simple effective way of reading the Bible in community with others that points towards application that I have been using lately is known as the Discovery Bible Study Process.
The process overall is simple…select a section of Scripture to read and then follow this list of steps:
- What are you thankful for?
- What’s a challenge you’re facing?
- How did you do with last week’s ‘I Will’ statement?
Did you share what we talked about with anyone?
- Read the passage.
- Have someone put it in their own words.
- What stands out to you?
- What does this text say about God?
- What does this text say about people?
- How can you specifically live out this passage in the next few days? (Everyone creates an ‘I Will’ statement)
- Who are you going to tell about what you discovered?