One method of reading the Bible which I will focus on today has three steps:
Observation, Interpretation, Application
- This method was taught for decades by Howard Hendricks at Dallas Theological Seminary. He taught thousands of pastors around the world this method.
- It’s not the only system out there; there are plenty of others. But it’s a proven method and it’s easy to remember: Observation, Interpretation, Application.
Future articles will unpack this further….but here’s a quick overview of each of these steps:
- Observation: What do I see?
- Interpretation: What was the author’s original intent?
- Application: What should I do?